Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Bonafide RTR


4x4 Short Course has had a steady fallowing at my local track recently, and I can't help but want to get in on the insanely over powered action.

Naturally, with any new horizon, I start to look at what's available the usual places like Amain and the buy and sell section of RCTech.net

RCtech is a great place to have some confidence while purchasing used items with the seller rating they use. But it may be worth everyone's time to search their a seller's other posts for their depth of knowledge in other forums.

I rarely look at rtrs, because I'm an elitist. Seriously, it's a problem that keeps me and my family eating ramen while I drive sports cars. Like a tramp stamp tattoo, it's just something I've learned embrace while at the beach.



Ready to run cars are fantastic for a weekend, but then you decide you want more and you end up with electronics you can't use or are not eligible for racing. I've never understood -not supplying- RTR cars with 17.5 brushless. Losi buggies can come with 13.5 sensored, though.

Off road here in the pacific northwest is split between the indoor season and outdoor. Indoor tracks are tighter and may be better suited for the nimble buggies. But it doesnt hurt to dream about outdoors and seeing a few short coursers ripping it full throttle in a sweeper.

Those dreams leave me and my PayPal account in the market for a SC 4x4 and I want new electronics that can push this beast around. Amain delivers: The Team Thunder Associated ProLite Tiger for $340!

Yes, it's a Qualifier Series RTR. Yes, it actually is just some Thunder Tiger Sparrow hawk conversion, but that price is insane. Plus, my man Jang at URC seems to not hate it.



I'm a huge fan of Jang. The dude is solid and very honest in his opinion.

That rtr would get me on the track with terrible tires and servo. Or, I play craigslist roulette.

Craigslist and short course go together like Redbull and extreme sports. Matches made in Youtube, launch ramp heaven.

The only problem with the list is the risks involved in talking to a hobbyists.  You do have to keep in mind that you're dealing with someone selling off pieces of a once loved collection.

Add caption

With the worst case scenario burned into the mind, I can then focus on finding "a deal." So I head to my local Craigslist where short course trucks are plentiful.



Traxxas Slash 4x4 Platinium Series RC Truck w/tons of extras - $675


Listed is one full RC with 2 bodies and tons of extras.
I have over 1200.00 invested, plus my time.
This rig is in great condition and perfect repair and ready to race!

TRAXXAS "Slash 4x4" Platinum Edition with low-CG chassis
* Pinion spur 19/54
* Traxxas Lipo 5000
* Traxxas Speed Body
* J-Concepts Chevy Silverado body (new)
* RPM A-Arms
* RPM Bumpers 
* RPM Light mount & buckets
* Axial LED headlights and taillights
* Onyx 3650kv 4 Pole Brushless motor
*Proline shocks
*3 full sets of Pro-line wheels and tires
* Tekno driveline
* Traxxas steel constant Velocity shafts (all4)
* 2.4 Radio and receiver
$675.00 cash only, no trades sorry.
Everything is in like new condition and no kids have abused them!
Call or text #XXXXXXXXX




$675. Ouch. That's a lot of money for a Traxxas. I'm not that familiar with Traxxas, so I won't judge.

I know from first hand traction searching experience that rc is a slippery slope.  $1200 in can happen sooner than most us us would care to admit. 

Anyway I look at it, I just couldn't sleep well spending $675 for a Slash.

I do hope someone buys his truck. Perhaps the seller will end up accepting a trade for a quad or dirt bike and lawn care for the package. But dang, not actual earned currency.

I try and tread lightly into clist ads. Mostly because of bonafide d bags like this that you may end up dealing with to purchase something. Speaking of creepy basements...




He may have the best intentions.  He may even be adding to the value as more people are looking for these. 

But something about the "Bonafide Hustler" really creeps me out.


Gold pan hunting mobile

The used market may be a great place to get into a class. But, it may also not be right for the first time buyer. It's dicey and care should be given before meeting strangers.

My ears may deceive me, but hints and whispers of a new AE 4x4 ProLite are lurking in forum shadows...


Have a great Wednesday folks and dont forget to use the buddy system,
-Tommy

No comments:

Post a Comment