Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Judgment Day

Since I work in the bicycle industry, co workers love to talk tech and pick my brain about rc. It is often dificult to convey to a coworker why I spend so much time and money racing toy cars, but I seem to come to the same conclusion each time that we can all agree on, "It's fun."

Since the two past times cycling and rc rarely come into the same conversation, it's a big deal when it does. A co worker forwarded a video of a remote controlled robot riding a bike




Amazing. The future of racing remote controlled bicycling robots looks bright. So we are at the fork in the road. We, as rc car racers, chose to control our machines and race them in circles. Others have chosen to teach the machines to race themselves.







Technologies involved in the Robot Racing challenge come from a wide range of disciplines of interest to both industry and engineering education. Engineering students in all disciplines today do well to have a familiarity with each of these technologies. These technologies are vital to today’s emerging industries. These robots are finding their way in applications such as space exploration, mining, search and rescue, remote sensing and automotive inspection. Some autonomous robots are even becoming common around the home for routine tasks such as vacuuming, mowing lawns, parking cars, and in future, driving cars.


So, Students and hobbyists teaching robots to race.

If we consider the possibilities, this could be one step closer to close to Judgment Day.




If GnR are playing on the judgement day, I've got paypal ready for tickets.






To keep my coworkers in mystery about what an rc race looks like, I've decided to run with this niche of robot racing as somehow related to the bottom of the b main racing I do. 


With all of this badass coming forth as I dig deeper into robot racing, it makes me proud to control these future, german accented killing machines.


Wedensday!
-Tommy

2 comments:

  1. Tommy; an RC guy in the bike industry? Me too!
    After Weir came out of the closet I see RC all over the bike industry.
    Where you are? I am in Santa Cruz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bikes and rc compliment each other pretty well. Exercise enjoys recovery. I'm up here in Portland, OR selling bikes and parts and trying to make the bump from the b main.
    Raced a surf city cross race once. Fast folks in Santa Cruz!

    ReplyDelete