Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Craigslist RC Roulette: Buyer Be Stoked

We made it through Monday. Here's your virtual pat on the back.


It's a race night for me. So I'm trying to get work done with gear loaded in the car, one foot out the door and my eyes on all ways to go faster.


While checking LiveRC for a live feed of my local track to see if my favorite pit table got gobbled up, I came across some of their "breaking news."  As reported by Liverc, Kyosho is set to release the highly anticipated SC6.





Summed up and Taking IiveRC's report completely out of context, In breaking news fashion LiveRC has reported that Kyosho anounced that no details are available. Fortunately LiveRC assumes: "it will follow in the footsteps of the RT6 and include many of the same features and geometry."

In rc, we need to know more! But I can handle it. LiveRC continues to provide great content and maybe the best product placement stickers on rc cars world wide. The beacon.


The Swoosh of the RC world


Being a mostly indoor, dirt off road dude, I dont often see the "behind the scenes' when it comes to carpet off road track building. Here's a quick look at what the time and labor required to setup what looks like an awesome track in France:





RC racing is effing addicting. And Like most addictions, I want it cheap and fast. Fortunately, for addicts like myself, there's Craigslist.

Yup, Craigslist. The website that let's you trade your old kitchen cabinets for some dude's old bathroom tile. Win, win for cheapskates all around.

Normally, I can be found trolling for couches to drive from the apartments to the nice areas of town and leaving on corners. But every other Friday, I like play Craigslist RC Roulette. This is a leisurely game I like to play in which I type in "RC" in the for sale section and max it out at my entire paycheck.

Sorted my by price,high to low, this caught my imagination recently:



Rc surfer board shark dude - $175 

Rare rc surfer
Rtr
Charger
Battery remote
Used but in excellent condition


SAY WHAT!

Immediately, thoughts of spring break go into my head. And naturally.. I gotta get this action packed shred machine racing around drunken college kids on personal water craft in Lake Havasu.. STAT!


Marshall!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Whoa. Surely, these are similar thoughts as to when someone first sees a short course truck or any rc driver with a smile on their face. Dreams of racing a truck racing down the coast line in the Baja 1000


SC Trucks headed south


So, I snap out of my dream weaving and study the ad a little more. The keen observer may notice some linkage at the feet and the words "Self-Righting". This could be that there is some tech in this toy.  And if we use that controller to determine scale... could this be in the 1/5th scale neighborhood?


And 5th scale and beaches go together like sand and electronics.


Holding the transmitter switch stance



I know, I too thought the price was crazy. $175 in craigslist currency?? (which really means "$80 , If you can get here on my lunch break.")


$80 for a action packed beach party shred machine seems like a solid deal.


But, I had to know more. And YouTube delivered




This kind of awesome stopped all my momentum in the roulette i was currently in. This was now honest stoke.

In one brief video clip, I remembered all that is rc racing. I saw the light. I remembered why folks show up to the track with nothing but a charger and a battery. They are pumped to get out and make it happen.


Gonna try and bring that kind of stoke to the track tonight.  The stoke alone has yet to get me to the top of the podium, but it might be enough to remind me to take a deep breathe, relax a little, and try and remember: It was me that rolled my car over and that marshal is probably texting someone important.


The way I look at it, tomorrow's hump day.

We got this.

Thanks for reading

-Tommy


No comments:

Post a Comment